Saturday, February 9, 2008

Spinning Novelty Yarn / My First Knitting Project

A couple of months ago, I took a class in spinning novelty yarns. I learned to spin slub yarns, boucle, and Navajo ply. I initially learned to spin because, well, it looked like fun, and I thought it might be interesting to weave with hand-spun yarn sometimes. Some of the yarns that I was spinning did not seem like weaving yarns to me. In fact, they seemed to shout, "I am a knitting yarn!" The only problem was that I did not know how to knit. So Alice, my spinning teacher, generously taught me to cast on and knit, loaned me a pair of needles and a knitting book, and sent me on my way. I began working on a scarf made of slub yarn that I spun from a corriedale cross and a wool / silk blend. Here is the work in progress:

It's okay to laugh - it IS pretty funny looking. I doubt it will ever be worn much, but I keep working at it. It will be nice to have something that I made from start to finish (okay, I did use commercially prepared fibers), and besides, practice makes perfect.

No comments: