Monday, April 7, 2008

Spinning Silk in Spring

I was so excited to discover this behind my house when I got home from work today:



Yeah! Spring is officially here! It looks a little bare to me yet. If nothing else pops up this year, I'll plant some tulips in the fall.


So, Greencastle is coming up this weekend, and I'll be going for the first time. I'm pretty excited about it. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to Alice, my spinning teacher, that I planned on looking for some silk since I'd never spun it before. She offered to send me some to try, so I could see what I liked before I spent any money on it. Two or three days later, a silk hankie, a cap, some recycled sari silk, and a couple of types of sliver showed up in my mailbox. It didn't take long before I had spun it all, and I really enjoyed it. Here's what I wound up with:


Some of it is pretty slubby and inconsistent, but practice makes perfect. You might be thinking, "Hey, I don't see any recycled sari silk there," and you would be right. It turned out awful, with lots of tangly slubs that got caught at the orifice and on some of the flyer hooks. Before I realized it was caught, I tried treadling faster to make it take up, and I wound up with some "yarn" that was more overtwisted than anything I had ever made before. More practice is definitely in line!

1 comment:

CuriousLinda said...

Alison: Mom forwarded me your blog. I'm very impressed. I've been trying to do a blog for a while, and post some pictures, etc. Yours look great. My mom came to visit this last week, and we had a great time. Hope to see you this summer. And If you feel the urge, I'd love to have some place mats. Love, Lisa (Lusina's daughter!)