Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New Placemats

In a recent episode of Weavecast, Syne Mitchell discussed the drudgery of finishing your weaving, and I could totally relate. I get so excited about the transformation that takes place on the loom that I kind of forget to look forward to the transformation that will take place in the washer and dryer. I took these placemats off the loom weeks ago and just finished them today. Although I've woven and wet finished quite a bit, I am still always amazed by the appearance and texture of the finished fabric compared to the web.


This was my first attempt at overshot. I used M.P. Davison's Valley Forge Dogwood with a just-okay border that I designed. I used 10/2 and 5/2 mercerized cotton, so they would stand up to some abuse. I'm not thrilled with the way the border turned out, but I haven't had much experience designing drafts. If I had to change anything about the placemats, I would change the sett (27 epi is a little close) make them a little shorter. They're not bad though, and all-in-all, I'm pleased with them. I enjoyed the rhythm of overshot, and it was a lot of fun to watch the pattern develop. I can't say that overshot is my new favorite weave structure, but it is something I'll do once in a while.

Also, I wanted to share some of the view from my backyard:


Since I don't have much room on my property for growing things, I was so excited to see the crab apple blossoming on the land owned by the county. I'm having a lot of fun seeing what kind of plants are popping up around the house; although, I seem to have an over-abundance of hostas already...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! I'm a new member of WeaveRing and a new blogger, too: The Straight of the Goods. I'm especially interested to see your lovely overshot placemats. I just bought a used copy of Marguerite Davison's overshot patterns with plans to make a couple of baby blankets. It's driving me a little crazy, though, since I can't get a feel for what the finished patterns are going to look like from the profile drafts. Like you, I'm not an overshot enthusiast, but I do enjoy some of the smaller motifs. And now I know how Valley Forge Dogwood turns out!