Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wedding in the Smokies

Last month, I got married. We went to Gatlinburg and had a very small ceremony with family and a couple of close friends, and stayed in a nearby cabin for our honeymoon. As I was planning the wedding, I had planned on weaving a silk shaw to go with my dress. That was the plan until I picked out the dress. I found a lovely dress on clearance, and it fit me perfectly. The problem was that there was so much going on with the dress, beaded motifs and such, that I didn't think a shawl woud go with it very well. So I decided to make a necklace and earrings to go with it instead. They are made of pearl, swarovski crystals, and sterling silver.
While on the honeymoon, my dear husband was kind enough to go to a few fibery places with me. One place was the Smokey Mountain Spinnery. There I picked up some merino cross top, some soy silk top, and a hand-held bookmark loom. We also went to Spinning Wheel Crafts, where an older lady sells some handwovens and her husband does woodworking. She had a beautiful loom in her shop. When I asked her about it, she asked if I was a weaver. She told me that her father built the loom and asked me to weave a few picks on it, which made my day. :) So I couldn't leave without at least buying a couple of mug rugs from her. The warp is 10/2 cotton, and the weft is peaches and cream.
One of my favorite places that we visited along the arts and crafts trail was Cliff Dwellers gallery. They carried the work of several different weavers. Upstairs from the gallery, several of the artists were at work and demonstrating their crafts. There I met a woman who spins and dyes, a woman who does marbling, and a couple of women who paint. They were all so friendly and seemed to really enjoy answering questions about their work. Back downstairs, one of the owners of the gallery was weaving on an inkle loom. I bought a bookmark that she made, commemorating the 75th anniversary of the national park.
And now a few pictures from the honeymoon. First, the view from our cabin the morning after the wedding:
A view from the trail to Clingman's Dome:
Finally, my husband and me at the observation tower atop Clingman's Dome:

4 comments:

Susan said...

Dear Alison and new hubby,
Congratulations on your marriage and may you both enjoy years of happoness together.

You are off to a great start if you are including fibre places on the honeymoon! I'm impressed...

All the best to you both,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And what a great fibre-friendly man he must be :) Start 'em off the way you mean to go on, I say. Wishing you lots of happiness.

Alison said...

Susan and Cally,

Thanks for your kind thoughts! The first few weeks have been great, and I'm looking forward to all the rest!

bspinner said...

Congratulations!!!! Any man that will take his bride to fiber shops is a "keeper".
Good luck to both of you,
Barb